Thanks to all the students and parents that made CHINESE NEW YEAR such a great success! We could not do this amazing event without the great work of many volunteers!
This week is Parent/Teacher Conference week. Ms. Adams is out of town, if you need to make an appointment with her, please email her for a time after March 4th.
We are also in charge of food for Parent/Teacher Conference night on Thursday. Our "Theme" is crockPot Soups, salads, bread and dessert. It is an easy, yummy meal for the teachers to enjoy while taking a break during conference time. We are still in need of more soups and salads! Please sign up today at: Parent/Teacher Conference SCLA Food Please pass the word along that we are short food and need to round up some more volunteers! THANK YOU in advance for all your hard work to help our teachers and staff out!
Thursday, Feb. 27th is also UNITY IN THE COMMUNITY hosted by the Chamber of Commerce. SCLA is a big supporter of this event, and SCLA SENIOR DANNY BISHOP is putting this event together for his Senior Capstone Project. Juniors volunteering at this event need to "dress to impress!" and make sure they are there during their sign up times.
Saturday, February 2, 2013
It's hard to believe that it is February already. This year is flying by!
Here is a quick update on each grade level:
12th GRADE CAPSTONE ACTION PROJECTS
The SCLA inaugural class of 2013 is volunteering over 1260 hours to the community just this year to complete their projects!
The class of 2013 is working hard to complete their projects this spring. Some of our projects are still in need of financial help to complete. We are appreciative of our sponsors McDonalds and Longmont United Hospital for their help. If you would like to sponsor contact Ms. Adams or Mrs. Kohn. Some of our specific needs are:
- Marly and Lina need some help finding a company to either donate or help with the cost of cement for playground area at the YMCA -
- Jack is looking for sponsors for holes for the golf tournament that will help Emergency Family Assistance here in Longmont.
- Austin and Kailee are hosting a four Saturday soccer camp in March for kids at Columbine Elementary and help covering the cost of T-shirts and trophies.
- Valarie and Anthony want your old shoes as they work with Soles4Souls. Boots, flip-flops, high heels, you name it, they can take them! Drop off shoes at SCHS, or let us know and we can pick them up.
- Austin and Noah want your extra change! Help Peace and Service for Africa with your spare change this month. Drop off at SCHS.
Soon, volunteer opportunities will be listed here for Senior Capstone Projects.
SCLA 9, 10 and 11- PAY IT FORWARD!
Volunteer for these projects so others who follow you will volunteer for your projects.
Mark these events on your calendar and join us for the following SCLA Capstone Projects!
- Clarissa is working with LiveWell Longmont and the Healthy series begins this month! Join Clarissa at the Longmont Library on MONDAY, FEBRUARY 11th from 6:30-8:30, Watch the movie "Weight of the Nations" followed by a panel discussion on the obesity problem in the US.
- Chase is bringing Rachel's Challenge to Silver Creek High School! Come to SCHS on TUESDAY FEBRUARY 19th at 6pm in the Auditorium for the parent meeting. More information to come.
Much much more in the works!
A shout out to our outstanding SCLA 12 teacher, Lauren Kohn, for all the hard work she does with this group.
11th Grade SCLA
Want to volunteer? We are looking adults to help students write resumes and then go through a "mock" interview.
Feb. 12 & 13 for resume writing
Feb. 26 & 27 for interviews
Contact Ms. Adams or Ms. Forbes to volunteer
- 11th graders are working with Blue Mountain, EagleCrest and Indian Peaks Elementary Schools to teach the BIG SIX Leadership Skills of Ethics, Communication, Critical and Creative thinking, Respect, Vision and Teamwork to 5th graders.
- Students are working on their ideas for their Senior Capstone Action Projects! They have some great ideas and we are excited to double our number of SCLA students doing projects next year, and double the volunteer hours that are given to the community by these great students.
10th Grade SCLA
Want to Volunteer? We need drivers on FRIDAY, FEB. 8th 10:30-12:30 to drive to Boulder to Ras Kassas Ethiopian Restaurant to learn more about the food and culture. We will cover your lunch for your help!
Contact Ms. Adams to volunteer
- Students wrapped up their American Culture projects this past week. We had a great look into own culture and history as we get ready to plunge into a look at cultural commonalities with other countries. We enjoyed our AWARD WINNING LIBRARIAN PHIL GOERNER AND HIS WIFE LYNN share their experiences with their humanitarian work in Zambia.
- Students this month will get a chance to learn about the Chinese culture as we have guests teach us Chinese Calligraphy. Students will then have the opportunity to volunteer at the CHINESE NEW YEAR celebration held here at SCHS on SATURDAY, FEB. 23. SCLA helps sponsor this event! It's free and open to the public and will feature amazing things like the Dragon Dance, Kung Fu demonstrations, music and food. Last year over 500 people attended this event, so please join us.
9th Grade SCLA
Thank you to Jason Lathrop, teaching this semester, and to Jean Gurule, who taught last semester.
- Freshmen are getting their feet wet in SCLA beginning their personal websites/digital portfolios.
- Students are preparing their Anti-bullying presentations to work on presentation skills and speaking skills.
We will always post opportunities for volunteering here. If you know of any opportunities in our community, please let us know and we will post them.
Contact Carrie Adams for anything listed below at
- PARENTS: - We need all of SCLA parents to join RABC (Raptor Athletic Booster Club) They are a huge supporter of SCLA and assist the entire school in so many ways. It's easy and your money goes right to work for the students. You can join for $20. If you are already a member of RABC, be sure to list SCLA as one of your activities! Click here for more info. RABC
- PARENTS/ INTERESTED INDIVIDUALS- SCLA is beginning the SCLA Leadership Foundation Board! It is a volunteer group of parents, business leaders and students joining together to build our program. Together we can gain momentum, gather corporate sponsors and give our students even more "real world" experiences. If you are interested in helping us get the foundation off the ground, and are willing to meet once a month for 7am meetings, WE NEED YOU! Come to an informational meeting on THURSDAY, MARCH 7th at 7am at SCHS in the main office conference room.
- STUDENTS: Applications are being accepted to be part of the Therapeutic Riding Center Teen Leadership Program. This is an amazing program. You must be between 15-18 (Applicants can be 14 but must turn 15 by August 2013) More info by clicking here: Teen Leadership Program
- STUDENTS: CHINESE NEW YEAR celebration needs you! Feb. 23 at SCHS.
SCLA AMBASSADOR CORNER
Want to be a leader of leaders?
Willing to do the extra work?
Want to make a bigger impact during your time at SCHS and in SCLA?
Ambassadors may be for you!
APPLICATIONS FOR 2013-14 AMBASSADORS
- Monday, March 4th Applications open
- Friday, March 15th All applications must be submitted by 2:15pm
- NO LATE APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED
- April 15th-April 19 Interviews
More details coming soon
THANK YOU TO OUR SENIOR CAPSTONE ACTION PROJECT SPONSORS